The recent discovery of a rare 800-year old brooch in west Kerry, Ireland has put these accessories back in the spotlight. The brooch, found by chance by the seaside, is made of gold. Most known ring brooches are of copper alloy, which makes these items all the more special. The piece also features a semi-precious tourmaline stone and an intricate design featuring a dagger and inscriptions in gothic lettering, commonly found in artefacts dating back to the 13th and 14th centuries.
Brooches are timeless objects. The sparkle and colour of vintage brooches are sure to catch your eye, and the artistry and sometimes whimsical designs make you look twice. Often, people refrain from buying them because they aren’t sure how to wear them. But those beautiful brooches were made to be worn, and worn with flair! Vintage brooches are classic but versatile objects: if paired with the right pieces, they can completely transform an outfit.
One brooch can add drama and glamour to a solid colour top or jacket. You can pin a vintage brooch onto the front of a dress or a jacket, of course, and they also look stunning on a woollen or tweed winter coat. But vintage brooches are so much fun they just beg to worn in more interesting ways. Here are seven stunning options to sport your vintage brooches with pizzazz.
7 Stylish Ways to Wear Vintage Brooches
Get those brooches out of the jewellery box and onto your outfits for a distinctive touch.
- Cluster on a denim jacket. Make a denim jacket uniquely yours by clustering three or more vintage brooches it. You can even add small brooches to the collar.
- Fasten a cardigan. So many cardigans simply don’t have buttons. No problem. Just add a statement brooch to hold it together for a distinct look.
- At the collar of a blouse. Brooches that are small enough can fit right at the top of a blouse at the collar. This creates a sweet, old-fashioned look. Cameo brooches work especially well for this.
- Embellish a pocket. Who doesn’t love a pocket? Add some flair to the pockets on your cardigans and jackets by adding a vintage brooch. You can put a long, horizontal brooch at the top or on a flap, while a larger brooch looks great right in the middle of the pocket.
- Decorate a handbag. You’ll spot your handbag right away when you decorate it with a distinctive vintage brooch. It’s a fun way to add some personality to your handbag.
- Tame a scarf or wrap. Don’t you hate it when that gorgeous scarf or wrap keeps slipping off your shoulder? Use a stylish vintage brooch to keep it in place. You can pin through the scarf and your top to ensure it stays put.
- Add glamour to a hat. Jazz up a plain hat by adding a bit of sparkle to the side. This works for large, straw summer hats and fuzzy, woolly winter hats alike. Just be sure to pin the brooch on the hat before you put it on!
Now the question is which to wear when. Some famous women, notably Queen Elizabeth and former US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, have used brooches to signal their moods and opinions. Albright even wrote a book about it! A colourful vintage brooch can take your look from stylish to spectacular. And it can leave people wondering if your choice of brooch says something about your thoughts or just your fantastic fashion sense.